Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash

Список
Период
Сортировка
От Jon Sime
Тема Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Дерево обсуждения
Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: [DOCS] Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Andrew Sullivan, )
  Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Gregory Stark, )
   Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Bruce Momjian, )
    Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Andrew Sullivan, )
 Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Peter Eisentraut, )
  Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner, )
   Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Bernd Helmle, )
  Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Josh Berkus, )
   Re: [DOCS] Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: [DOCS] Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
  Re: [DOCS] Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Leif B. Kristensen", )
  Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Alvaro Herrera <-ip.org>, )
   Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Leif B. Kristensen", )
    Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Leif B. Kristensen", )
     Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Peter Eisentraut, )
      Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Leif B. Kristensen", )
       Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Peter Eisentraut, )
        Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  ("Leif B. Kristensen", )
     Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Greg Smith, )
    Re: Avoiding upgrade backlash  (Jon Sime, )
Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
> On Tuesday 13. November 2007, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>> Isn't there a chicken-and-egg problem here? On my Gentoo system, I
>>> have always been forced to uninstall the old version before
>>> upgrading to a new version.
>> That's a Gentoo shortcoming, nothing more.
>
> I've started a thread about it in the Portage & Programming section of
> forums.gentoo.org:
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-615494.html
>
> I hope that someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to
> contribute in bringing this issue to the attention of the Gentoo
> developers, and hopefully work out a solution. Sure, there are other
> Gentoo users than me around here?

Aye, there's at least one more (at least on my development machine).

I wanted to point out that Gentoo does already have a solid way of
handling this -- you just have to use an overlay. If you have "layman"
installed, check out the "postgresql-testing" and
"postgresql-experimental" overlays.

I use the latter and have 8.1.10, 8.2.5 and 8.3beta1 all running happily
on the same machine without having had to do anything other than add
that overlay and set each instance to use a different port. Each release
is very nicely slotted and they all get along just peachy.

-Jon

--
Senior Systems Developer
Media Matters for America