Re: psql show dbsize?

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: psql show dbsize?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
andy wrote:
> I know its way too late in the game, sorry, but it's a very small patch...
>
> I was wondering if this could be added to 8.3: it adds the dbsize to \l
> in psql.

8.3 is many months beyond feature-freeze, so no, that's not likely to
happen.

> It looks like this:
>
>              List of databases
>    Name    |  Owner   | Encoding | Dbsize
> -----------+----------+----------+---------
>  andy      | andy     | LATIN1   | 4255 kB
>  cramd     | andy     | LATIN1   | 526 MB
>  postgres  | postgres | LATIN1   | 4263 kB
>  template0 | postgres | LATIN1   | 4136 kB
>  template1 | postgres | LATIN1   | 4255 kB
> (5 rows)
>

> pretty nice, huh?

Not sure I like it at all. You've just turned \l from something that's
essentially free (a lookup in pg_database, which is very likely to be
either cached or at least very small) to something that can carry a
significant I/O cost if you have a lot of/large databases.

//Magnus