Re: Optimizing PostgreSQL for Windows

От Christian Rengstl
Тема Re: Optimizing PostgreSQL for Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Now the execution time for my query is down to ~10 - 13 seconds, which
is already a big step ahead. Thanks!
Are there any other settings that might be necessary to tweak on
windows in order to reduce execution time even a little bit more?
One thing i don't understand very well though is that if I execute the
query on table 1 with some conditions for the first time it is still
slow, but when i execute it more often with changing the conditions it
gets faster. Even when i query table 1 then query table 3 (with the same
table definition) and then query table 1 again, the query on table 1
gets faster again.

Christian Rengstl M.A.
Klinik und Poliklinik für Innere Medizin II
Kardiologie - Forschung
Universitätsklinikum Regensburg
B3 1.388
Franz-Josef-Strauss-Allee 11
93053 Regensburg
Tel.: +49-941-944-7230

<47278421.6010906@lelarge.info>,
Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Christian Rengstl a écrit :
>> My OS is Windows 2003 with 4GB Ram and Xeon Duo with 3.2 GHz;
>> shared_buffers is set to 32MB (as I read it should be fairly low on
>> Windows) and work_mem is set to 2500MB, but nevertheless the query
takes
>> about 38 seconds to finish. The table "table1" contains approx. 3
>> million tuples and table2 approx. 500.000 tuples. If anyone could
give
>> an advice on either how to optimize the settings in postgresql.conf
or
>> anything else to make this query run faster, I really would
appreciate.

> 32MB for shared_buffers seems really low to me but 2500MB for
work_mem
> seems awfully high. The highest I've seen for work_mem was something
> like 128MB. I think the first thing you have to do is to really
lower
> work_mem. Something like 64MB seems a better bet at first.
>
> Regards.
>

> --
> Guillaume.
>  http://www.postgresqlfr.org
>  http://dalibo.com

Сообщение: Re: Two fast queries get slow when combined
Сообщение: Re: Two fast queries get slow when combined