Re: performance - self-joins vs. subqueries

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: performance - self-joins vs. subqueries
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"K. Ari Krupnikov" <ari@iln.net> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> "K. Ari Krupnikov" <ari@iln.net> writes:
> Many queries can be formulated as either a self-join or a subquery on
> the same table.
> Is there any difference in performance, or does the analyzer treat them
> the same?
>>
>> You're a lot better off with a self-join, at present.

> At present - is there a change planned?

Currently, EXISTS and IN sub-queries are always done by nested loops.
Sooner or later we will try to convert them into self-joins
automatically, so that smarter join methods can be used.  But for now
you need to write them as joins to begin with, if you want 'em to be
fast.