Re: [HACKERS] 8.3beta1 testing on Solaris

От Jignesh K. Shah
Тема Re: [HACKERS] 8.3beta1 testing on Solaris
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Tom,

Here is what I did:

I started aggregating all read information:

First I also had added group by pid    (arg0,arg1, pid) and the counts
were all coming as 1

Then I just grouped by filename and location (arg0,arg1 of reads) and
the counts came back as

# cat read.d
#!/usr/sbin/dtrace -s
syscall::read:entry
/execname=="postgres"/
{
    @read[fds[arg0].fi_pathname, arg1] = count();
}

# ./read.d
dtrace: script './read.d' matched 1 probe
^C

  /export/home0/igen/pgdata/pg_clog/0014
-2753028293472                1
  /export/home0/igen/pgdata/pg_clog/0014
-2753028277088                1
  /export/home0/igen/pgdata/pg_clog/0015
-2753028244320                2
  /export/home0/igen/pgdata/pg_clog/0015
-2753028268896               14
  /export/home0/igen/pgdata/pg_clog/0015
-2753028260704               25
  /export/home0/igen/pgdata/pg_clog/0015
-2753028252512               27
  /export/home0/igen/pgdata/pg_clog/0015
-2753028277088               28
  /export/home0/igen/pgdata/pg_clog/0015
-2753028293472               37

FYI  I pressed ctrl-c within like less than a second

So to me this seems that multiple processes are reading the same page
from different pids. (This was with about 600 suers active.

Aparently we do have a problem that we are reading the same buffer
address again.  (Same as not being cached anywhere or not finding it in
cache anywhere).

I reran lock wait script on couple of processes and did not see
CLogControlFileLock  as a problem..

# ./83_lwlock_wait.d 14341

             Lock Id            Mode           Count
       WALInsertLock       Exclusive               1
       ProcArrayLock       Exclusive              16

             Lock Id   Combined Time (ns)
       WALInsertLock               383109
       ProcArrayLock            198866236

# ./83_lwlock_wait.d 14607

             Lock Id            Mode           Count
       WALInsertLock       Exclusive               2
       ProcArrayLock       Exclusive              15

             Lock Id   Combined Time (ns)
       WALInsertLock                55243
       ProcArrayLock             69700140

#

What will help you find out why it is reading the same page again?

-Jignesh