Re: second DML operation fails with updatable cursor

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: second DML operation fails with updatable cursor
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> SQL92 has this under Leveling Rules:
>
>          1) The following restrictions apply for Intermediate SQL:
>
>             a) A <declare cursor> shall not specify INSENSITIVE.
>
>             b) If an <updatability clause> of FOR UPDATE with or without
>               a <column name list> is specified, then neither SCROLL nor
>               ORDER BY shall be specified.
>
> So SCROLL with FOR UPDATE is a Full-SQL-only feature.  (In SQL99 it's
> broken out as Feature F831-01, but that doesn't tell you much about
> how hard it is or whether most implementations have it.)

Oh, ok then.

> I don't feel particularly bad about not supporting every such feature.
> I think Simon's recommendation is definitely the way to go for 8.3 ---
> if anyone is motivated to relax the restriction in the future, they can
> figure out how to resolve the corner cases then.

Ok. Looking at what you committed, I completely misunderstood what you
were saying earlier. Yeah, let's leave it like that for now. A nice "not
supported" error message is perfectly fine, as long as we can avoid the
unexpected behavior.