pg_restore oddity?

От Mario Weilguni
Тема pg_restore oddity?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
There's a IMO a problem with pg_restore, it should be easy to fix (I
hope - and I could try to fix it and send a patch).
* I've a dump taken from a 8.1 database
* I'm using gist and ltree
* I'm restoring to a 8.2 database

Problem:
I cannot use "-1" for performance, because some gist stuff has changed
and the restore fails. But there seems to be no option for pg_restore to
use transactions for data restore, so it's very very slow (one million
records, each obviously in it's own transaction - because a separate
session "select count(1) from logins" shows a growing number).

It would be nice to use transactions for the data stuff itself, but not
for schema changes or functions. I know I can use separate pg_restore
runs for schema and data, but it's complicated IMHO.

I see several options:
* Use transactions for data, maybe with a separate command line option
* Use transactions everytime, and place savepoints to recover from errors?

Any ideas what I could do?

Regards
Mario