Re: Locale + encoding combinations

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Locale + encoding combinations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote
> That still leaves us with the problem of how to tell whether a locale
> spec is bad on Windows.  Judging by your example, Windows checks whether
> the code page is present but not whether it is sane for the base locale.
> What happens when there's a mismatch --- eg, what encoding do system
> messages come out in?

I'm not sure how to test that specifically, but it seems that accented
characters simply fall back to their undecorated equivalents if the
encoding is not appropriate, eg:

Dave@SNAKE:~$ ./setlc French_France.1252
Locale: French_France.1252
The date is: sam. 01 of août  2007
Dave@SNAKE:~$ ./setlc French_France.28597
Locale: French_France.28597
The date is: sam. 01 of aout  2007

(the encodings used there are WIN1252 and ISO8859-7 (Greek)).

I'm happy to test further is you can suggest how I can figure out the
encoding actually output.

Regards, Dave.