Re: First steps with 8.3 and autovacuum launcher

От Deblauwe Gino
Тема Re: First steps with 8.3 and autovacuum launcher
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs schreef: <blockquote cite="mid:1192171225.4233.480.camel@ebony.site" type="cite"><pre wrap="">On Fri,
wrap="">Hmm,I am not sure we are there, yet. Autovacuum does take extra care to

vacuum tables nearing xid wrap-around, right? It even does so when
autovacuum is disabled in the configuration.

So in case a vacuum is needed for that very reason, the vacuum should *not*
be canceled, of course. So we don't really need the information, whether
the AV worker is doing VACUUM or ANALYZE, but whether it is critical
against xid wrap-around. Could that be done as easily as in Alvaro's patch
"isfor xid wraparound" bit in the

WorkerInfo struct and have the cancel work only if it's off.

However, what I think should happen is that the signal handler for
SIGINT in a worker for xid wraparound should not cancel the current
vacuum.  Instead turn it into a no-op, if possible.  That way we also
disallow a user from cancelling vacuums for xid wraparound.  I think he
dangeroustoo because the user may have specifically

turned AV off. That anti-wraparound vacuum might spring up right in a
busy period and start working its way through many tables, all of which
cause massive writes to occur. That's about as close to us causing an
outage as I ever want to see. We need a way through that to allow the
user to realise his predicament and find a good time to VACUUM. I never
want to say to anybody "nothing you can do, just sit and watch, your
production system will be working again in no time. Restart? no that
I think the best way to handle this is to have two limits.

First limit attempts to autovacuum, but can be cancelled.

When we hit second limit, sometime later, then autovacuum cannot be
cancelled.

That would give us a breathing space if we need it.
beforethat time, <br /> then it executes at that time (or just after the next system restart after that time).  <br />
Soyou ensure that it isn't delayed indefinitely and you execute it on a time the database is normally not under a heavy
thatway, could you prevent it by a statement to start executing in the first<br /> place, and then restart execution by
Everyonelogs out, upgradeprocedure of db is started<br /> b) drop indexes<br /> c) add tables/change tables/add
theshelves...<br />

Сообщение: Re: Release notes introductory text
Сообщение: Re: Release notes introductory text