Re: Refactored queries needing validation of syntactic equivalence

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Refactored queries needing validation of syntactic equivalence
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Mike Adams wrote:
> Hello! I'm a long time lurker who has become responsible for maintaining
> / updating utility queries at work.  I've reworked two queries (as text
> attachment as they are wide lines) to enhance the planner's chance of
> speeding up the queries (Oracle8i's).

Well, I can't say it's standard procedure to look at Oracle queries, but  if you don't tell anyone I won't :-)

> I'm looking for someone to eyeball them and let me know if I've folded
> the sub-selects up correctly (I'm the ONLY sql speaking person at work
> so having a coworker do so is unfortunately not possible).
>
> Also unfortunately, there currently aren't any issues in the database
> that these queries are designed to find.  All I can say for sure is (as
> you can see below each query) my refactored queries *at the least*
> return *no* data faster than the legacy queries...

Test data time then. No alternative to testing these things.

> Thank you in advance and I wish the application at work used postgresql
> as it's backend!

OK, you've substituted and EXISTS check against a sub-query with a
self-join. The key question of course is whether your join can return
more than one match from "rcv_mo m" for each row in "rcv_mo o". I can't
say without knowing more about your schema, and even then I'd want to
test it.

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: