Re: Locale + encoding combinations

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Locale + encoding combinations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "English_United Kingdom.65001")
>>
>> will return null (and not change anything) because it doesn't like
>> the combination of the locale and that encoding (UTF-8).
>
> The reason that that call fails is probably that the operating system
> does not provide such a locale.

It doesn't - UTF-8/65001 is a pseudo codepage on Windows with no NLS
file defining collation rules etc. as we already discussed.

> But that's not what we are interested
> in.  We are interested in compatibility between *existing* operating
> system locales and *PostgreSQL* encoding names.

Yes.

Let me put my question another way.

Latin1 is a perfectly valid encoding for my locale English_United
Kingdom. It is accepted by setlocale for LC_ALL.

Why does initdb reject it? Why does it insist the encoding is not valid
for the locale?

/D

Сообщение: Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review
Сообщение: Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review