windows and pg 8.2 (change database to another server)

От Terry Yapt
Тема windows and pg 8.2 (change database to another server)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello all,

I would like to change a pg database to another server.

The source environment is: postgresql Windows v.8.2.4 (windows xp
workstation).
The target environment is: postgresql Windows v.8.2.5 (windows 2003 Server).

I would like to do migration without pg_dumpall and I think I can do the
migration process _only_ copying this (after stop Postgresql service, of
course):
1.- Data directory (c:\program files\postgresql\8.2\data).
2.- Another TableSpace folders/directories.

But after copy that folders to my new server, service PostgreSQL doesn't
start with a 'cannot create postmaster.pid'.

First of all.  I think this method is admisible. Isn't it ?

And second question: I think my problem is that some rights are wrong
after copying data folder.  What are the right rights to apply to data
folder ?

Any other 'direct' migration process ?

Greetings...