Re: [pgsql-packagers] Getting to 8.3 beta1

От Zdenek Kotala
Тема Re: [pgsql-packagers] Getting to 8.3 beta1
Дата
Re: [pgsql-packagers] Getting to 8.3 beta1  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM (Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM) wrote:
>> I'm for bumbing. Because if we use same number it also means that new
>> binary will able to use old library. But if there are two new functions
>> number must be increased. Standard practice how ELF loader works is
>> following:
>>
>> Each library could have tree numbers libxxx-X.Y.Z. Loader/Linker ignores Z
>> number. It means any binaries can be linked e.g. with X.Y.Z+1 or X.Y.Z-1.
>> This is used for bugfixing. Middle number Y means that binaries which
>> requires Y can also use Y+1 (and linker takes it), but not Y-1. It is used
>> for adding new thing into interface - backward compatible. Change in major
>> number X means it is not backward compatible libraries.
>
> Right, so bump the minor and leave the major (and the overall 'soname')
> the same.
>
>> In PostgreSQL perspective, we use only major number.  We can increase main
>> number (X) or best way is add Y and keep major number same. But I don't
>> know if it is possible in current infrastructure and if it will work
>> everywhere.
>
> I'm confused by this.  I see both in Makefile.shlib and on my system
> that we have a minor version so I don't entirely follow when you say "we
> use only major number".

I'm Sorry for confusion, I overlooked it. You have right. Unfortunately
struct Port has been modified and by my opinion it means we must bump
major version. See
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/include/libpq/libpq-be.h.diff?r1=1.62;r2=1.63

    Zdenek