Re: Bytea as C string in pg_convert?

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Bytea as C string in pg_convert?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> We can and possibly should change the GETARG call, but the varlena types
>> are structurally equivalent, so it's not a mortal sin being committed here.
>>

> We *definitely* should change it --- the reason for having all those
> variant macros in the first place was to help document the argument
> types of V1 functions.  It's too bad the compiler doesn't warn about
> the type mismatch here ...

I have changed it. The thing is, though, that this function not only
performs the convert() function but acts as the engine for convert_to()
and convert_from(). Those functions do some silent transformations, in
one case passing a text Datum as the first argument and in the other
case the returning the result as text. If there's a better way to do
this I'll be happy to learn, but it seems to me it would involve some
duplication - I tried to avoid that where possible.

Maybe I should just put a note in the code saying what we're doing, and
why it's OK.

cheers

andrew

Сообщение: Re: Bytea as C string in pg_convert?
Сообщение: Re: Bytea as C string in pg_convert?