Re: UNICODE encoding and jdbc related issues

От Igor Postelnik
Тема Re: UNICODE encoding and jdbc related issues
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
> > 2. I'm really not sure I want to change the encoding of our main
> database to
> > Unicode.  Is there a performance loss when going to a UNICODE
database
> > encoding?  What about sorts, etc.  I'm really worried about
unintended
> side
> > effects of moving from SQL_ASCII to UNICODE.
>
> You don't need to use unicode, but you must select another encoding.
If
> you'd like to stick with a single byte encoding perhaps LATIN1 would
be
> appropriate for you.

I've asked this before on the performance list but didn't get any reply.
Is there substantial performance difference between using SQL_ASCII,
LATIN1, or UNICODE?

> The driver does SET client_encoding which does work for all real
server
> encodings.  The problem is that SQL_ASCII is not a real encoding.  It
> accepts any encoding and cannot do conversions to other encodings.
Your
> db right now could easily have a mix of encodings.

ISTM that when you create a database with SQL_ASCII encoding you decide
to deal with character set issues in the applications. Why is the JDBC
driver dictating how the application handles character set issues?

-Igor