Re: strange TIME behaviour

От rihad
Тема Re: strange TIME behaviour
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 04:45:02PM +0500, rihad wrote:
>> Can someone please explain to me why these two give different results?
>> The idea is to get the number of seconds past 00:00:00, so the second
>> one is obviously correct.
>
> They're both correct.
>
>> foo=> select extract(epoch from current_time);
>>   date_part
>> --------------
>>  42023.026348
>> (1 row)
>
> current_time is a time with time zone; the above query returns the
> number of seconds since 00:00:00 UTC.
>
>> foo=> select extract(epoch from cast(current_time as time));
>>   date_part
>> --------------
>>  60030.824587
>> (1 row)
>
> By casting current_time to time without time zone you're now getting
> the number of seconds since 00:00:00 in your local time zone.

PostgreSQL seems to default to "time without time zone" when declaring
columns in the table schema. Since all my times and timestamps are in
local time zone, and I'm *only* dealing with local times, should I be
using "time with time zone" instead? When would it make a difference?
Only when comparing/subtracting? Is "with time zone" not the default
because it's slower?

Thanks.