How to recover database instance from a disaster

От Chansup Byun
Тема How to recover database instance from a disaster
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm supporting Sun Grid Engine and it uses Postgres DB as a backend
server for ARCo accounting and reporting module.
One of my customers is asking how to recover data if Postgres DB server
got crashed.

SGE constantly generates accounting data and records them into Postgres DB.

I think one way is to periodically to back up the database using
pg_dump. But this is only a snapshot and will loose any information
generated after it was taken.

I guess running Postgres DB as HA server is another solution although I
am not sure if this is feasible.
Is there any other way?

Thanks,

- Chansup