Alternative to drop index, load data, recreate index?

От Jason L. Buberel
Тема Alternative to drop index, load data, recreate index?
Дата
Re: Alternative to drop index, load data, recreate index?  ("Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Re: Alternative to drop index, load data, recreate index?  (hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com>)
Список pgsql-general
When loading very large data exports (> 1 million records) I have found it necessary to use the following sequence to achieve even reasonable import performance:

1. Drop all indices on the recipient table
2. Use "copy recipient_table from '/tmp/input.file';"
3. Recreate all indices on the recipient table

However, I now have tables so large that even the 'recreate all indices' step is taking too long (15-20 minutes on 8.2.4).

I am considering moving to date-based partitioned tables (each table = one month-year of data, for example). Before I go that far - is there any other tricks I can or should be using to speed up my bulk data loading?

Thanks,
jason