Re: Low hanging fruit in lazy-XID-assignment patch?

От Florian G. Pflug
Тема Re: Low hanging fruit in lazy-XID-assignment patch?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 06:36 +0200, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> "Florian G. Pflug" <fgp@phlo.org> writes:
>>> - I actually think with just a little bit of more work, we
>>> [ squint... ]  This goes a bit far for me.  In particular, I think this
>>> will fail in the edge case when there are no live XIDs visible in
>>> ProcArray.  You cannot go back and do ReadNewTransactionId afterward,
>>> at least not without re-scanning the ProcArray a second time, which
>>> makes it at best a questionable win.
>> Why would it?
>
> I think the additional suggestion goes a bit too far. You may be right,
> but I don't want to change the transaction system in advanced ways this
> close to the next release. We may have difficulty spotting bugs in that
> thinking during beta.

Ok, those were two clear votes against doing this, so I'll stop
arguing ;-). I do think that we should have another look at this when
8.4 opens, though.

greetings, Florian Pflug

Сообщение: Re: Just-in-time Background Writer Patch+Test Results
Сообщение: Re: Just-in-time Background Writer Patch+Test Results