Re: What's the difference between SET STORAGE MAIN and EXTENDED?

От Zoltan Boszormenyi
Тема Re: What's the difference between SET STORAGE MAIN and EXTENDED?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane írta:
> Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb@cybertec.at> writes:
>
>> At the end of the day, the behaviour is the same, isn't it?
>>

> No, there's a difference in terms of the priority for pushing this
> column out to toast storage, versus pushing other columns of the row
> out to toast.  Normally we push the widest (remaining) column out,
> and repeat, until the tuple is small enough.  But MAIN columns stay
> in, until there are no EXTENDED columns left.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Thanks very much for clarifying.

I was thinking of a binary data that wouldn't fit
into the maximum inline tuple size. In this case
both MAIN and EXTENDED end up compressed
and out-of-line. I didn't consider having multiple
bytea or text columns filled with small amount of data.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

--
Zoltán Böszörményi