Re: Use of delete...returning in function problem

От Bart Degryse
Тема Re: Use of delete...returning in function problem
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Amazing what a bracket can do :)
Thanks for the help.

Bart Degryse wrote:
> I'm trying to use a delete statement with returning clause in a function:

>     FOR rec IN (
>       delete from billing_errors_new where errortypeid IN (1,2) returning *)
>     LOOP

> I get following error though:
>   ERROR:  syntax error at or near "delete" at character 4
>   QUERY:   ( delete from billing_errors_new where errortypeid IN (1,2) returning *)
>   CONTEXT:  SQL statement in PL/PgSQL function "test_delete" near line 5

> According to the manual (I think) it should be possible:

I think it's just the brackets () - plpgsql's parser isn't terribly
sophisticated.

This works for me, but with brackets doesn't.

BEGIN;

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE test1 (a integer, b text);
INSERT INTO test1 SELECT generate_series(1,100) AS a, 'text for b';

CREATE FUNCTION testdel() RETURNS integer AS $$
DECLARE
     n integer;
     r RECORD;
BEGIN
     n := 0;
     FOR r IN DELETE FROM test1 WHERE a % 10 = 1 RETURNING * LOOP
         n := n + 1;
     END LOOP;
     RETURN n;
END;