Re: Using oid as pkey

От D. Dante Lorenso
Тема Re: Using oid as pkey
Дата
Re: Using oid as pkey
Список pgsql-general
Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2007, at 16:58 , Ed L. wrote:
> You'd have  to specify your table WITH OIDS anyway as they're no longer used by
> default for table rows, so there's really nothing to be gained by using
> oids.

How exactly can you get rid of OIDs when using a language like PHP?  The
"magic" of SERIAL and BIGSERIAL is that they are supposed to be like
MySQL's AUTO INCREMENT feature and they create their own SEQUENCE for
you automatially to handle the serialization.  Yet, I can't get the
value of the serial column without knowing the name of the serial sequence.

Using a brain-dead sample table that looks like this:

    CREATE table some_table (
        col0 SERIAL,
        col1 VARCHAR,
        col2 VARCHAR
    );

I want to do something like this:

    INSERT INTO some_table (col1, col2)
    VALUES ('val1', 'val2');

I want the value of col0 returned to the application and I don't want to
know the name of the sequence involved in the SERIAL column.  I just
want the value inserted into the column by using just it's column name.

In PHP with PDO, I've only been able to get this by first finding the
OID value from 'lastInsertId' and then using that OID to run this select:

    SELECT $column AS last_inserted_id
    FROM $table
    WHERE oid = ?

How else could this be done without the round-trip back the db server or
knowing too much about the SERIAL internals that I shouldn't really need
to know?

-- Dante