Re: Select time jump after adding filter; please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Select time jump after adding filter; please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Andrew Edson wrote:
> Yes.  The only difference between the two selects was that the index
> on the table in question was dropped.  As far as I know, that was the
> only partial index on there, although since it's a test db, I could
> probably go in and experiment on a few more if needed.
>
> This problem may have already been solved; I'm using an older version
> of Postgres; 8.1.3.  My boss has requested that it not be upgraded
> just yet, however, so I'm stuck with it for the moment.

You should probably upgrade to 8.1.9 - there are a couple of bugfixes
that mention bitmap scans, although nothing that describes your problem
in-depth.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/release.html#RELEASE-8-1-9

You don't need to dump/restore the database, it's just a matter of
upgrading the binaries within the 8.1 series. You should plan on doing
point-release updates fairly frequently.

I'd put the partial index back, see if you can reproduce it and if so
tell your boss you should upgrade. If you can't talk him around, give
him the URL for the release notes along with the three bugs you think
are most dangerous. If that doesn't work, I'm sure we can get someone
from the core developers to tell you the same thing I just have, and we
can forward that to your boss :-)

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd