Re: error codes

От Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD
Тема Re: error codes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce wrote:
> Actual error code numbers/letters.  I think the new elog levels will
> help with this.  We have to decide if we want error numbers, or some
> pneumonic like NOATTR or CONSTVIOL.  I suggest the latter.

Since there is an actual standard for error codes, I would strongly suggest
to adhere. The standardized codes are SQLSTATE a char(5) (well standardized
for many classes of db errors). Also common, but not so standardized is SQLCODE
a long (only a very few are standardized, like 100 = 'no data found').
And also sqlca. Also look at ecpg for sqlcode and sqlca.

A Quote from dec rdb:
--------------------------------------------------------------------  o  SQLCODE-This is the original SQL error
handlingmechanism.     It is an integer value. SQLCODE differentiates among errors     (negative numbers), warnings
(positivenumbers), succesful     completion (0), and a special code of 100, which means no     data. SQLCODE is a
deprecatedfeature of the ANSI/ISO SQL     standard.
  o  SQLCA-This is an extension of the SQLCODE error handling     mechanism. It contains other context information that
   supplements the SQLCODE value. SQLCA is not part of the     ANSI/ISO SQL standard. However, many foreign databases
such    as DB2 and ORACLE RDBMS have defined proprietary semantics and     syntax to implement it.
  o  SQLSTATE-This is the error handling mechanism for the ANSI/ISO     SQL standard. The SQLSTATE value is a character
stringthat is     associated with diagnostic information. To use the SQLSTATE     status parameter, you must specify
theSQL92 dialect and     compile your module using DEC Rdb Version 6.0.

Andreas