RE: Locale by default?

От Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD
Тема RE: Locale by default?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> DBMS should be independent from the OS settings as far as
> possible especially in the handling of data. Currently we
> could hardly judge if we are running on a locale or not from
> the dbms POV and it doesn't seem a dbms kind of thing in the
> first place. I'm a dbms guy not an OS guy and really dislike
> the requirement for users to export LC_ALL=C.

Yup, I can second that.
Also note, that currently a locale aware index might get corrupted if
you do an OS upgrade (that changes the collation: e.g. add the ?
symbol).
I sortof think, that pg locale support is not yet up to prime time.
If we had something that conformed to the Spec (per column lang and
collation), then yes I would make it mainstream, but as is ?

Andreas