Version differences

От Dave Page
Тема Version differences
Дата
Re: Version differences  (Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>)
Re: Version differences  (Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>)
Список pgsql-docs
There is currently no way for a visitor to the website to what whats
cool and new in the latest major release. This info is in the main
announcement panel for a while after we release, but is gone as soon as
we have a conference or something.

Any ideas how we can best fix this?

Related to this, we have links on the front page to the release notes of
the latest point releases. A suggestion was made to me that these should
point to lists of all the changes in the given branch. Consider the
following scenario:

- Critical security issue is found so we produce a release.
- Shortly after we find a simple bug in say, plpgsql that warrants
another release.
- User visits the site, and only sees the details of the bug which
doesn't affect him, thus doesn't bother to upgrade.

One solution (which could also resolve an issue that I think JD raised
recently) would be to split the Release Notes appendix in the docs into
seperate pages for each major release, re-ordered so the next/previous
links make more sense. On the website we'd then point people at these
index pages, rather than the specific release.

Otherwise, we rely on the user realising that the forward/back buttons
might lead to the previous release or the main index - something which
is far from obvious.

Thoughts?

Regards, Dave.