Re: Enabling SQL text field in the SQL tab of object dialog

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Enabling SQL text field in the SQL tab of object dialog
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was looking at the new features of DBVisualizer and found something
> that please me. I don't know if you remember this old thread :
>   http://www.pgadmin.org/archives/pgadmin-hackers/2007-03/msg00004.php
>
> I want to be able to change the generated SQL on object dialog.
> DBVisualizer seems to do it in a way that feels great. At first, editing
> the SQL is disabled. You can enable it by clicking on a button. See this
> screenshot :
>
> http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/imageviewer.jsp?image=versions/6.0/images/6.0-alterTable.png
>
> I think this is something we can do. You can modify an object with the
> GUI and fine tune the queries by enabling the SQL text field. Of course,
> if you do this, all other components are disabled right away. If you
> click to disable editing, you get back to "GUI mode" and loose all your
> editing modifications. With appropriate alerts, I think it is acceptable
> for users.

I'm not against the idea in principle.

> There's still one problem :
>
>> Also, on some dialogs there are placeholders included in the code for
 >> cases when we have multi-step queries that are tied together by a
 >> generated ID. IF the user mucked about with those, it could break
things
 >> particularly spectaularly.
>
> But we don't need to make the SQL text field editable for every SQL tab.

True.

> Ideas ? Comments ?

I think I'd like to see a prototype so we can get a feel for how it
would work and what might explode. It shouldn't be too hard to do - just
add an option to the SQL tab, and when selected, lock the tabset to that
tab. That should be doable on the appropriate base class.

Regards, Dave