Re: Retrieve the record ID

От Shane Ambler
Тема Re: Retrieve the record ID
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Luca Ciciriello wrote:
> Hi all.
> I'm new to this list and, first of all, I'm a new user of PostgreSQL.
> The version I'm using is 8.2.3 and I've the necessity to retrieve, using an
> application, the ID of a modified (INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE) record of a
> triggered table. I wasn't able to find out a way to obtain the required ID.
> The only information available outside of the DBMS and usable by my app
> (subscribed for a significant event) are the table name and the server
> process id.
The last insert is the easy one - SELECT currval('mtable_id_seq');

To get the ID of an UPDATE or DELETE you will need a trigger to be run
on each event. If the trigger you refer to is your own then I would
integrate the change into what you have, if you are referring to
cascading updates/deletes then you will need to add a trigger to suit
your needs.

Within the trigger you have access to 'NEW' and 'OLD' copies of the row
affected, which is where you can get the ID you are after.
(see chapter 37.10)

The information passed with a notify is simply an event name so you may
want a table to store the ID's you want. Maybe with a timestamp that you
app uses to find changes since it last looked. Polling this table can be
an alternate to using notify.

> The application is running on Windows XP and the server is installed on
> Windows Server 2003.
> Any one knows a way to notify my app with the ID of the modified record?
> Any idea is appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Luca

> Watch all 9 Live Earth concerts live on MSN.  http://liveearth.uk.msn.com