Re: importance of fast disks with pg

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: importance of fast disks with pg
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Thomas Finneid wrote:
> During the somes I did I noticed that it does not necessarily seem to be
> true that one needs the fastest disks to have a pg system that is fast.
>
> It seems to me that its more important to:
> - choose the correct methods to use for the operation
> - tune the pg memory settings
> - tune/disable pg xlog/wal etc
>
> It also seems to me that fast disks are more important for db systems of
> the OLTP type applications with real concurrency of both readers and
> writes across many, possibly larger, tables etc.
>
> Are the above statements close to having any truth in them?

It depends.

The key to performance is to identify the bottleneck. If your CPU is
running at 50%, and spends 50% of the time waiting for I/O, a faster
disk will help. But only up to a point. After you add enough I/O
capability that the CPU is running at 100%, getting faster disks doesn't
help anymore. At that point you need to get more CPU power.

Here's the algorithm for increasing application throughput:

while throughput is not high enough
{
  identify bottleneck
  resolve bottleneck, by faster/more hardware, or by optimizing application
}

--
  Heikki Linnakangas