Re: PostgreSQL publishes first real benchmark

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: PostgreSQL publishes first real benchmark
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 11:57:13AM -0400, Jignesh K. Shah wrote:
>>> I think this result will be useful for performance discussions of
>>> postgresql against other databases.
>>>
>>> http://www.spec.org/jAppServer2004/results/res2007q3/
>>
>> Am I right if this is for a T2000 (Niagara) database server? It sure is
>> interesting, but I can't help thinking it's not a very common
>> configuration...
>
> I have yet to see a benchmark that was valid on a common configuration.
> Common configurations don't make people in suits go... "oooohhhh sexy!".
> It is also the reason that those in the know typically ignore all
> benchmarks and do their own testing.

This kind of benchmarks are primarily a marketing thing. And as such,
it's a very good one to have, because there are certainly a large
amounts of PHBs who will just dispose a solution that's not "proven" (we
all know what that means, but they don't) without even looking at the
details.

From a *technical* perspective it doesn't mean anything that you can
apply directly to your application. All it says is "yes, you can make it
fast enough".

But again, as a marketing thing, it's great.

//Magnus

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL publishes first real benchmark
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL publishes first real benchmark