Re: Changing DB Encodings

От Naz Gassiep
Тема Re: Changing DB Encodings
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
>> I've successfully created a utf8 database, does that imply that
>> because I was able to create a DB with a different encoding to the ones
>> all the others use (SQL_ASCII) that my locale is set to "C" ?
>>

> No, that implies a lack of error checking.

Surely, then, that's a bug? Shouldn't postmaster check if a DB is in an
encoding that differs from the selected locale?

lc_collate and lc_type both report C as the locale. Does that mean I can
safely bulk load a pg_dump into it?

When doing the dump, do I have to use --encoding=utf8 as a param?

Please excuse me if I sound ignorant of all of this, I'm currently
forced to address an issue that I don't yet feel I have a sufficient
grasp of.