Re: how to: psql -U user --password password ?

От Viatcheslav Kalinin
Тема Re: how to: psql -U user --password password ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/libpq-pgpass.html
or you can set PGPASSWORD environment variable (not recommended though)

Stefan Zweig wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> i have a problem with connecting to postgresql on a remote server. basically i want to import some sets of data into
thedatabase, using the psql command from within a shell script.
> i have a local machine where postgres is installed and a remote one where postgres is installed as well.
> because of security issues the configuration of postgres on the remote server is set in a way that i am not not
allowedto connect to the database from my local machine. and the security thing gets even stricter: i am not even
allowedto run a shell script on my remote server.

> i know already that there is a way to connect to a remote postgres using psql with the options --host 123.123.123.1
--port5432 --username --password

> unfortunately this only prompts the password screen and i have to input the password for postgres for every single
psqlcommand again.. this not very convenient in terms of automating imports using shell. i am planning to do some
hundredsof imports (with psql) on a batch and i want to avoid typing the password some hundreds times.

> i know that in mysql there is way to pass through the password e.g. to mysqldump with mysqldump --user=user
--password=password
> actually i would need similar functionality in postgres. is there a good way to solve my problem?
>
> i know that a i could do the import as well using jdbc or odbc connections to postgres (where it is possible to
connectas a user with password), but actually i think it is faster (as i have some very large *.sql files to import)
andmore convenient to do the import directly via psql instead of using jdbc/odbc.

От: "Ashish Karalkar"
Сообщение: Re: how to: psql -U user --password password ?
От: Raymond O'Donnell
Сообщение: Re: how to: psql -U user --password password ?