Re: Reducing the cycle time for CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS buildfarm members

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Reducing the cycle time for CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS buildfarm members
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 6/20/21 6:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> (3) Since this only works in v14 and up, older branches would
> have to fall back to -DCLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS.  Perhaps we could
> improve the buildfarm client script so that buildfarm owners
> just configure "clobber_cache_testing => 1" and then the script
> would do the right branch-dependent thing.

Maybe. Let's see what you come up with.

> Of course, we could eliminate the need for branch-dependent
> logic if we cared to back-patch the addition of the
> debug_invalidate_system_caches_always GUC, but that's probably
> a bridge too far.

Yeah, I think so.

> It looks to me like this would cut around an hour off of the
> roughly-a-day cycle times of the existing CCA animals.  None
> of them run any TAP tests, presumably because that would make
> their cycle time astronomical, but maybe this change will help
> make that practical.

It might. I'm fairly sure there are a lot of repetitive cycles wasted in
the TAP tests, quite apart from initdb. We've become rather profligate
in our use of time and resources.

cheers

adrew

--