Re: Worries about delayed-commit semantics

От Florian G. Pflug
Тема Re: Worries about delayed-commit semantics
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Richard Huxton wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> What's wrong with synchronous_commit?  It's accurate and simple.
>>
>> That is fine too.
>
> My concern would be that it can be read two ways:
> 1. When you commit, sync (something or other - unspecified)
> 2. Synchronise commits (to each other? to something else?)*
>
> It's obvious to people on the -hackers list what we're talking about,
> but is it so clear to a newbie, perhaps non-English speaker?
>
> * I can see people thinking this means something like "commit_delay".

OTOH, the concept of synchronous vs. asynchronous (function) calls
should be pretty well-known among database programmers and administrators.
And (at least to me), this is really what this is about - the commit
happens asynchronously, at the convenience of the database, and not
the instant that I requested it.

greetings, Florian Pflug