Re: GUC time unit spelling a bit inconsistent

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: GUC time unit spelling a bit inconsistent
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 03:24:51PM +0200, Michael Paesold wrote:
>> There are valid reasons against 5m as mega-bytes, because here m does
>> not refer to a unit, it refers to a quantifier (if that is a reasonable
>> English word) of a unit. So it should really be 5mb.
>>
>> log_rotation_age = 5m
>> log_rotation_size = 5mb
>
> Except, of course, that "5mb" would be understood by those of us who
> work in metric and use both bits and bytes as 5 millibits.

I at one point submitted a patch to make units case insensitive, I have
since submitting that patch decided that was a horrible idea. Why can't
we use standard units? Mb, Kb, KB, MB... (I don't know the standard unit
for minutes).

The more I see this going back and forth it seems we should just do it
right the first time and tell everyone else to read:

The fine manual
The spec(s) that define the units.

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/