Re: Problem editing tables (geom columns)

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Problem editing tables (geom columns)
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Dave Page wrote:
> Pedro Doria Meunier wrote:
>> I've seen in the known issues for ver 1.6.3 that there's a problem
>> with editing tables with long fields...
>
> Where do you see that?
>
>> Strangely enough I've used this version before with Fedora Core 6 and
>> there wasn't a problem with postgis tables.... :$
>> A long work has already been done setting up Fedora 7 to my taste so
>> I'm really not too keen on downgrading to FC6... :-(
>>
>> So, I'm a bit lost here... Is this a GTK issue?
>> What can I do to fix this?
>
> Can you supply me a sample table and data to test with please?

I've been playing with the data that Pedro supplied me offlist, and the
problem is basically that he has a geometry value (basically a string)
in a column of around 4MB. I think it's fairly safe to say that we'd be
lucky to find that any of the grid controls on any of the platforms we
support were happy with this amount of data in a single cell - in
testing on Windows for example, whilst it works, it does slow to a crawl.

I think the only sensible option would be to add an additional tab to
the sort/filter dialog to allow the data to be vertically partitioned to
exclude such columns. This isn't going to happen for the next release
though I'm afraid.

Thoughts?

Regards, Dave.