Re: Performance query about large tables, lots of concurrent access

От Karl Wright
Тема Re: Performance query about large tables, lots of concurrent access
Дата
Re: Performance query about large tables, lots of concurrent access  (Kurt Overberg <kurt@hotdogrecords.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Karl Wright wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>>> Are you saying you weren't used to run VACUUM all the time?  If so,
>>> that's where the problem lies.
>> Postgresql 7.4 VACUUM runs for so long that starting it with a cron job
>> even every 24 hours caused multiple instances of VACUUM to eventually be
>> running in my case.  So I tried to find a VACUUM schedule that permitted
>> each individual vacuum to finish before the next one started.  A vacuum
>> seemed to require 4-5 days with this particular database - or at least
>> it did for 7.4.  So I had the VACUUM schedule set to run every six days.
>
> How large is the database?  I must admit I have never seen a database
> that took 4 days to vacuum.  This could mean that your database is
> humongous, or that the vacuum strategy is wrong for some reason.

The database is humongus, and the machine is under intense load.  On the
instance where this long vacuum occurred, there were several large
tables - one with 7,000,000 rows, one with 14,000,000, one with
140,000,000, and one with 250,000,000.

> You know that you can run vacuum on particular tables, right?  It would
> be probably a good idea to run vacuum on the most updated tables, and
> leave alone those that are not or little updated (hopefully the biggest;
> this would mean that an almost-complete vacuum run would take much less
> than a whole day).

Yeah, sorry, that doesn't apply here.

> Or maybe vacuum was stuck waiting on a lock somewhere.
>
>> I will be experimenting with 8.1 to see how long it takes to complete a
>> vacuum under load conditions tonight.
>
> You can also turn autovacuum on in 8.1, which might help quite a bit
> with finding a good vacuum schedule (you would need a bit of tuning it
> though, of course).
>
> In any case, if you are struggling for performance you are strongly
> adviced to upgrade to 8.2.

Ok - that's something I should be able to do once we can go to debian's
etch release.  There's a backport of 8.2 available there.  (The one for
sarge is still considered 'experimental').

Karl