Re: CSVlog vs tabs

От FAST PostgreSQL
Тема Re: CSVlog vs tabs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Now that we've fixed the partial/interleaved log line issue, I have
> returned to trying toi get the CSV log patch into shape. Sadly, it still
> needs lots of work, even after Greg Smith and I both attacked it, so I
> am now going through it with a fine tooth comb.
>
> One issue I notice is that it mangles the log message to add a tab
> character before each newline. We do this in standard text logs to make
> them more readable for humans. but the whole point of having CSV logs is
> to make them machine readable, and I'm rather inclined to think this
> sort of behaviour is both unnecessary and undesirable.  So I'm intending
> to leave it out for CSV logs.
>
> Comments?

With tab characters in the log, the user has to only enable csvlog to
have both machine and human readable logs. The user can use the csvlog
always and use it for human reading and load it into the database only
if he wants it for further analysis. That was my original intention anyway.

(Also as I wrote the patch some time ago, I forgot how the loaded log
gets displayed after a select. If it gets displayed with the tabs, then
isn't it desirable that way as well?)

Rgds,
Arul Shaji

От: "Jaime Casanova"
Сообщение: Re: wrong sql statement crashes backend
От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: CSVlog vs tabs