Re: memory issues when running with mod_perl

От Fred Tyler
Тема Re: memory issues when running with mod_perl
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/1/06, Fred Tyler <fredty8@gmail.com> wrote:
> > However, my machine looses between 500 M and 800 M in two weeks, and
> > within that time, I restart pg only very few times, say 3-4 times.
> > Does pg allocate other shmem blocks? If there is really a kernel memory
> > problem in shmem, how can I loose so much memory?
>
> This is the same thing I am seeing -- 500-1GB memory lost every two
> weeks -- and I don't restart pg at all. So, whatever is causing this
> is not due to pg restarts. I am running the same software as everyone
> else who has had this problem though: Apache, Postgres, and mod_perl
> on Linux (I know there's the guy seeing it on BSD also).

For the record, after upgrading the leaky machine from postgres 7.4.9
to 7.4.13, the memory leak is still very much present. (My original
configuration details are quoted below.)

From a fresh reboot of the server, with no postgres restarts, crashes,
or anything abnormal, I'm seeing a memory loss of around 50-100MB per
day.

As things now stand, I have two machines with the exact same software
configuration, but one machine (the leaky one) is running kernel
2.6.12.6, and the other machine (non-leaky one) is running 2.6.16.27.

The hardware is slightly different (both servers are Intel, but one is
dual core), and the non-leaky machine has about 1/2 the load of the
leaky machine, but all evidence right now is pointing to a kernel leak
that was fixed somewhere between 2.6.12.6 and 2.6.16.12.