Re: Selecting a constant question

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Selecting a constant question
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Actually, if you're in such a high throughput, client-side CPU-intensive
>  situation that this makes any difference, why are you copying the value
> to another buffer in the first place? Just access it directly in the
> libpq buffer returned by PQgetvalue, and move on.

That's a *very* good point. The original design for the pgAdmin query
tool made it's own copy of the data to display in the grid which is
exactly why we used to get complaints about having a query time and a
display time.

The modern versions use a virtual table which enables the grid to
retrieve the data directly from the libpq buffer when it needs to draw
each cell which has effectively eliminated that display time.

Regards, Dave.