Re: Autovacuum launcher doesn't notice death of postmaster immediately

От Matthew T. O'Connor
Тема Re: Autovacuum launcher doesn't notice death of postmaster immediately
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Andrew Hammond" <andrew.george.hammond@gmail.com> writes:
>> Hmmm... it seems to me that points new users towards not using
>> autovacuum, which doesn't seem like the best idea. I think it'd be
>> better to say that setting the naptime really high is a Bad Idea.
>
> It seems like we should have an upper limit on the GUC variable that's
> less than INT_MAX ;-).  Would an hour be sane?  10 minutes?
>
> This is independent of the problem at hand, though, which is that we
> probably want the launcher to notice postmaster death in less time
> than autovacuum_naptime, for reasonable values of same.

Do we need a configurable autovacuum naptime at all?  I know I put it in
the original contrib autovacuum because I had no idea what knobs might
be needed.  I can't see a good reason to ever have a naptime longer than
the default 60 seconds, but I suppose one might want a smaller naptime
for a very active system?

Сообщение: Re: Controlling Load Distributed Checkpoints
Сообщение: Re: Controlling Load Distributed Checkpoints