Re: Thousands of tables versus on table?

От Craig James
Тема Re: Thousands of tables versus on table?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 6/6/07, Craig James <craig_james@emolecules.com> wrote:
>> They're blowing smoke if they think Oracle can do this.
>
> Oracle could handle this fine.
>
>> Oracle fell over dead, even with the best indexing possible,
>> tuned by the experts, and using partitions keyed to the
>> customerID.
>
> I don't think so, whoever tuned this likely didn't know what they were
> doing.

Wrong on both counts.

You didn't read my message.  I said that *BOTH* Oracle and Postgres performed well with table-per-customer.  I wasn't
Oraclebashing.  In fact, I was doing the opposite: Someone's coworker claimed ORACLE was the miracle cure for all
problems,and I was simply pointing out that there are no miracle cures.  (I prefer Postgres for many reasons, but
Oracleis a fine RDBMS that I have used extensively.)

The technical question is simple: Table-per-customer or big-table-for-everyone.  The answer is, "it depends."  It
dependson your application, your read-versus-write ratio, the table size, the design of your application software, and
adozen other factors.  There is no simple answer, but there are important technical insights which, I'm happy to
report,various people contributed to this discussion.  Perhaps you have some technical insight too, because it really
isan important question.

The reason I assert (and stand by this) that "They're blowing smoke" when they claim Oracle has the magic cure, is
becauseOracle and Postgres are both relational databases, they write their data to disks, and they both have indexes
withO(log(N)) retrieval/update times.  Oracle doesn't have a magical workaround to these facts, nor does Postgres.

Craig