Re: Command tags in create/drop scripts

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Command tags in create/drop scripts
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:

>>> And we'll break a million applications that rely on the command names.
>
> Compatibility is possible solve with parsing arg[0]. If old name
> appears there command line will be parsed in old style... This
> functionally should keep there for some transition interval. Packager
> will be responsible if he create links for backward compatibility or not.

Well, I don't think rolling up the miscellaneous commands into a single
binary with behaviour dependent on arg[0] is a bad idea. I don't think
it's something to be looked at during feature freeze, though, especially
given our backlog. I think we'd need a good long lead time before we
removed the old names from our default install - at least one release
cycle, so it would be two years or more before this became any sort of
reality.

cheers

andrew