DB cluster sharing between 32 and 64 bit software versions

От Ireneusz Pluta
Тема DB cluster sharing between 32 and 64 bit software versions
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hello,

I am going to build a new PostgreSQL dedicated server, on FreeBSD. Before it goes to production
service I need to make some tests and take configuration decisions, focused on my application needs.
Usual thing. One of them is selection of one of 32 or 64 bit versions of both OS and PG. What I am
going to do is to install both versions on different filesystems of the same machine. As a
consequence I would also have to deal with two independent copies of my real databases on which I
want to perfrom my tests. However, the databases are rather large, so I am thinking about
possibilities of not to have to restore two copies of my data, but use just one instead, and sharing
it between the 32 and 64 versions, across reboots.

Would that scenario work, or I am simply too naive considering it?

Thanks

Ireneusz Pluta

PS.
Or rather, instead of testing 32/64 bit, I would just simply go with 64 bit, considering that the
server has quad core X5355 Xeon and 16GB RAM?