Re: the future of pljava development

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: the future of pljava development
Дата
Re: the future of pljava development  (Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org>)
Список pgsql-general
Chris Browne wrote:
> newsy@lewczuk.com (Marek Lewczuk) writes:

> At this point in time, a much more important feature of PostgreSQL
> would be for version 8.3 to be released.  That process is running into
> *some* problems vis-a-vis the review process.
>
> The last that I heard, it was somewhat indeterminate whether pljava or
> pl/j (a separate project) was the preferred way to provide Java
> support.

Hardly, pljava is actually mature and works well. plj doesn't even
support PostgreSQL 8.1 let alone 8.2 or -HEAD.

> The fact that Oracle or IBM are marketing their Java support heavily
> *does not* imply that it is a good idea for the PostgreSQL project
> ought to do the same.

Depends... do we feel like competing? Personally I hate Java. I think it
is a waste of resources and energy, but the writing is on the wall. We
need to support it.

> We have limited time; taking time from other
> things to spend on pljava is quite likely not to be a wonderful idea.
> It requires that people whose expertise *isn't* Java spend a lot of
> time learning Java details.

Now this I agree with. I am sure postgresql hackers are happy to help
the pljava team get things where they need to be, but -hackers needs to
be focusing on releasing 8.3.

> If there aren't enough people interested in supporting Java, then it
> is by no means evident that anything can or should be done.

I think his email was all about trying to get people to help with the
pljava project and by no means should have been considered a demand.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Сообщение: Re: Vacuum DB in Postgres Vs similar concept in other RDBMS
Сообщение: Re: Vacuum DB in Postgres Vs similar concept in other RDBMS