Re: [GSOC] - I ntegrity check algorithm for data files

От Zdenek Kotala
Тема Re: [GSOC] - I ntegrity check algorithm for data files
Дата
Re: [GSOC] - I ntegrity check algorithm for data files  (Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Richard Huxton wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> 3) My personal favorite is create management console - which allows to
>> perform check without physically access to local machine. Management
>> console should be use for another purpose - for example disable/enable
>> databases from cluster, perform upgrade of datalayer to the new
>> version, kill sessions, update postgresql.conf and so on...
>>
>> However this solution has significant impact on current postgres
>> behavior, but I think it should be big deal for postgres.
>
> I believe pgadmin lets you update postgresql.conf remotely,

IIRC, it is possible only when you have some additional module/function
installed on server and it works only for pgadmin, not for psql.

> and I know
> you can kill sessions from within PG ( pg_cancel_backend() ).

If you look how kill session is implemented it does not look much safe.

> For the rest, that's what ssh is for imho.

And what you will do when you don't have ssh access on this machine and
5432 is only one way how to administrate a server? (Windows is another
story.)
Zdenek