Re: Postgres Benchmark Results

От Peter Schuller
Тема Re: Postgres Benchmark Results
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
>     - Deferred Transactions, since adding a comment to a blog post
> doesn't need the same guarantees than submitting a paid order, it makes
> sense that the application could tell postgres which transactions we
> care about if power is lost. This will massively boost performance for
> websites I believe.

This would be massively useful. Very often all I care about is that the
transaction is semantically committed; that is, that other transactions
starting from that moment will see the modifications done. As opposed to
actually persisting data to disk.

In particular I have a situation where I attempt to utilize available
hardware by using concurrency. The problem is that I have to either
hugely complicate my client code or COMMIT more often than I would like
in order to satisfy dependencies between different transactions. If a
deferred/delayed commit were possible I could get all the performance
benefit without the code complexity, and with no penalty (because in
this case persistence is not important).

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org