Stored Procedures Performance: Java vs. PL/Pgsql

От Daniel Kastenholz
Тема Stored Procedures Performance: Java vs. PL/Pgsql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

is there a rule of thumb or an estimate which language provides the best
performance for stored procedures?

I'm currently using PL/Pgsql, and wondering
- to what extent these stored procedures are actually precompiled and/or
optimized
- if Java might provide better performance, or if parameter
transformation and VM calls eat up the performance gains (if any)

I'm aware that these questions can't be answered in a "universally
valid" fashion, but I would appreciate your experiences.

Thanks.

Daniel