Re: Perl + Determine active connections on Pg 8.0.x and Pg 8.2.x

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Perl + Determine active connections on Pg 8.0.x and Pg 8.2.x
Дата
Re: Perl + Determine active connections on Pg 8.0.x and Pg 8.2.x  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
CAJ CAJ wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have Pg 8.0.x and Pg 8.2.x on 2 separate Linux servers. We have a perl
> script (perl 5.8.7, DBI-1.48/DBD::Pg-1.49) that connects to each
> database to
> determine if there are active connections.with the following query.
> SELECT count(*) from pg_stat_activity;
>
> The above query always returns 0 rows for Pg 8.0.x and 1 row for Pg 8.2.x.
>
> When we connect to the database using psql client, the above query
> returns 1
> row for both the databases.

The pg_stat_activity view is never completely up-to-date, there is
always some time lag. This means whether you see your own connection
will depend on the precise order of events. Try sleep()ing for a second
before issuing the query and see if that makes it go away. If so, it's
just timing problems.

I've seen similar with "ps auxw | grep foo" from the command-line.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd