Re: Vacuum non-clustered tables only

От Glen Parker
Тема Re: Vacuum non-clustered tables only
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Glen Parker wrote:
>>
>>> 2. Autovacuum should effectively do this, assuming the clustered
>>> table isn't being updated.
>>
>> These are heavily updated tables.  Plain vacuum isn't enough, and the
>> autovacuum facility isn't functional enough for me yet.
>
> Can you elaborate on this?

I have nothing resembling a useful answer in regards to lazy vacuum vs.
full vacuum.  It seems that there have been times when vacuum started
taking too long, and then full vacuum took forever but fixed the
problem.  I haven't dug enough to provide anything better than that.
Cluster, however, always seems to perform quite well for me.

With regards to auto vacuum, it isn't useful for me because is seems to
put too much strain on the machine during peak hours, and there is not
yet a stomachable way to control when auto vacuum can run.  I'll be
reviewing it again as soon as I can get a version 8.3.1+ install into
production.

But again, even with auto vacuum in place, I'd prefer not to spend time
and cycles doing a vacuum when a cluster is going to happen within
minutes or hours.

-Glen